Friday, December 12, 2008
A recipe for curing creative block
According to Wikipedia, creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts. Or simply the act of making something new.
Inspiration refers to an unconscious burst of creativity in an artistic, musical, or intellectual endeavor. Literally, the word means "breathed upon."
Whatever. I've been having a bout of neither of those lately, which explains why I'm copying and pasting out of Wikipedia.
I've done a little Internet research on how to deal with creative block and to be honest, I am finding all the links and sites on this topic to be either dumb, too emo, too cliche, too much of a scam, too corporate or annoying as hell
Here is my personal remedy:
1. Go to a store. Purchase anything that has stimulating qualities on your physical and mental psyche.
ie: coffee, green tea, matte, trucker speed (aka mini thins, yellow jackets, or ephedrine, they make an herbal version of this stuff as well and I hear it works wonders.), Pepsi (gag) or an energy drink with lots of stuff in it (double gag.)
2. Consume the upper of choice with a friend and then talk about art for 15 hours.
3. Before you crash, start painting or drawing or writing, or whatever it is that you do.
4. Go ahead and sleep if you need to.
5. When you wake up you will be so blown away by the masterpiece you've created that you won't be able to stand your genius self and you'll just have to keep going with it.