Saturday, July 4, 2009

The 48 hour Film Festival


Two weekends ago I had the opportunity to direct my first movie ever via The 48 Hour Film Project. For those of you who still don't know about it, the point is to produce a 4-7 minute film based on a line of dialogue, an object, and a specific character that each film team is given at the start of the project. This year everyone had to incorporate the line "I wish I had an answer for you" The prop: Glue, and the character of ballplayer Lefty or Liann Lober.
Every team chose a different genre and ours was HORROR.
The experience was quite interesting. We filmed out at an old school in Alexander (thank you Nathan Green.) It was hot as heck and there were no toilets. I learned a lot. Like for example, it's really hard to make a movie in 48 hours. And I don't really know anything about acting so it was awkward to try to "act" out the script when directing the actors. For me choosing wardrobe was the funnest part - and making the signs, and also the shared experience of getting stressed out with my friends but secretly knowing it's not the end of the world if something goes awry.
All in all I'm pleased with the final outcome. To be honest I wasn't sure how it was going to come together in the end, but once I heard Kima Moore's sound design I knew we had collectively put together a pretty cool movie with some awesome cinematic moments. There's some things I'd do differently now, but that's part of what it's all about.
I have a prediction that one day people will collect 48 hour films like baseball cards. The least popular ones now will be the most sought after in the future.

1 comment:

Kimathim said...

Awesome post, Ursula. I would totally segue on your feelings about making this movie. Thank you very much for the comment on the sound design. That means a lot to me. And I had such fun working with you as a director, you have such a keen eye. And it's a real pleasure to work with you.