Thursday, November 12, 2009

Art and Life by Adam Smith

Adam Smith's frenzied paintings of sad and funny faces with oversized features caught my eye last year when I saw them hanging at Downtown Books and News on Lexington Avenue. Doing some internet research I came across Smith's website and cheeky blog Art and Life.
How to prepare a painting for hanging (because the artist forgot to) is a particularly entertaining (and helpful) read.
I ran into Smith by chance a few weeks ago and he informed me that he's been working on a new series of paintings of houses. He also let me know that he would soon be leaving Asheville for California. I suspect that he has already left town, but it was fun to have his work around for the brief time he spent here. for more info and images.


Kyle said...



lunardancer said...

The portrait is so captivating. The expression and edgy execution highlighted by the black and white colors all contribute to its uniqueness and intensity.