Friday, June 10, 2011

Mark S. Holland


Journey to Jerusalem oil on panel 40 in x 50 in.


Andante acrylic on canvas 52 in by 44 in


I recently came across Mark S. Holland's paintings at Atelier 24 in downtown Asheville. His large floral paintings are breathtaking, and his narrative paintings are quite intriguing. I really like the visual density of his work, his limited color palette, and effortless brushwork.

On his website Holland writes: Archetypes, ancestors, recollection of things unseen, remembrance of the unknown and forgotten pervade my work. I find by painting my own history, desires and passions, I begin to understand myself, my hidden life. We all share similar experiences, much more in common with each other than we realize.

Visit marksholland.com to see more.

1 comment:

Edgeworth Johnstone said...

Excellent flower painting. Will have to note many of these artists.